BRONX, NEW YORK. by REV. STEPHEN PARELLI. SEPTEMBER 5, 2014.
One pastor and seminarian wrote, “This is [a] new shift in my life to study on this subject since I am from a Baptist background, pastoring [now] in a leading church. I love it.”
To see the related article about
teaching at the Nagercoil seminary,
Resource Materials – Handouts The following resource materials (#1-10) were provided as handouts to the students of a seminary (name withheld) in Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India, at the outset of our (Jose Ortiz and Steve Parelli) three days of teaching there, August 26-28, 2014. (The materials that were taught are indicated ‘taught’ in parentheses) Part I – Queer Biblical Interpretation
- A Compilation of Quotes on Biblical Interpretation from a Queer Perspective (Partially taught) CLICK HERE
- Jennings on David and His Lovers: A Case Study for Queer Biblical Interpretation (Taught) CLICK HERE
- Jennings on ‘pais’ in Matthew: A Case Study for Queer Biblical Interpretation CLICK HERE
- Talking Points on the Bible and Homosexuality – Alternative Interpretations of the ‘Clobber Passages’ (Used with PowerPoints, below) CLICK HERE
Part II – Queer Theology and Ethics of Homosexuality
- A (Very) Short Introduction to Queer Theology CLICK HERE
- James Nelson on A Theology and Ethics of Homosexuality (Taught) CLICK HERE
Part III – Antidote for (Homophobic) Nationalism married to Religious Fervor: Religious Freedom
- Liberty of Conscience and Religious Freedom (Taught) CLICK HERE
- Queering Galatians 4:21 – 5:1 – Which nation are we? – John Cotton or Roger Williams (Taught) CLICK HERE
Part IV – Evangelical Myths on ‘Healing’ Homosexuals
- Is There Really Such a Thing as Ex-gay (Taught) CLICK HERE
- The Following Books Are Available in Your Library (Provided in the Spring of 2014 by Other Sheep; Note: Your library has many other excellent books on the topic at hand) CLICK HERE
Additional handouts provided by email after classes were ended:
- Queer Theology Bibliography by Tom Boache with add-ons by Steve Parelli CLICK HERE
- Iowa Supreme Court decision for Marriage Equality with emphasis on the Court’s discussion on Religious Freedom CLICK HERE
- The Lord Works Justice for All the Oppressed – A sermon illustrating kingdom preaching CLICK HERE
Resource Materials – PowerPoint Presentation on the Bible and Homosexuality (‘Clobber Passages’) Three (#1-3) of the following PowerPoints were presented before the students of the afore mentioned Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu (India), seminary during classes from August 26-28, 2014. All of the following PowerPoints were provided, via email, to the students who requested them for their personal use.
- Introduction – showing KJV 1611 Old Testament misuse of the word Sodomite (Taught) CLICK HERE
- I Corinthians and I Timothy – Two New Testament Greek words (also) misused by modern translators (Taught) CLICK HERE
- Sodom and Gomorrah – What were the sins of Sodom? (Taught) CLICK HERE
- Lev 18 and 20 Parts I and II – Three views (two overlapping) CLICK HERE
- Lev. 18 and 20 Parts III and Conclusion – Three views (two overlapping) CLICK HERE
- Romans 1 – Not a contrast between heterosexuals and homosexuals (but between Jews and Gentiles) CLICK HERE
This page was prepared in, and published from, the Bronx, New York, on September 5, 2014, by Rev. Stephen Parelli. This page was subsequently emailed to students of the Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India, seminary for their personal use.
Photo at right: Flower with insect on leaf, taken at the Nagercoil seminary’s newly purchased property. Plans call for a new seminary campus.